Dow has announced the winners of the 2019 Packaging Innovation Awards, which recognize the packaging industry’s top achievements in innovative packaging design, materials, technologies, and processes. The highest honor, the Diamond Award, went to Dai Nippon Printing’s DNP Functional Film Complex PET plastic bottle, an environmentally conscious and brand-friendly bottle alternative that offers a distinct glass-like appearance due to a peelable outer layer that can act as an oxygen barrier when combined with PET.
Currently, many beverage bottles are made with glass because of its barrier properties and sense of luxury, despite its heavier weight and higher risk of breakage. Glass often shatters while its collected or when its sorted, and its residue can contaminate other products that could otherwise be recycled. The PET plastic bottle retains all the qualities consumers love about glass bottles— the feel and sense of luxury—while creating a recyclable, lightweight, and virtually unbreakable product.
The 2019 Packaging Innovation Awards hosted by Dow, previously known as the DuPont Awards for Packaging Innovation, is now in its 31st year. Each year, the judging panel consists of professionals from around the world in a wide range of fields, including design, engineering, retail, converting, and academia.
The judges evaluated nearly 250 entries from companies in more than 30 countries. In addition to the Diamond Award, the judges also selected eight Diamond Finalists, 10 Gold Award Winners, 12 Silver Award Winners, and two Honorable Mention categories. Here are some of the winners in the food industry:
- Embrapa Food Technology: Packaging for fruits that makes the most of refrigeration to keep food fresh. The two-part container is rigid, but it’s also closable over a PET-type plastic where the fruits are packaged.
- Danone Nutricia Research: OpTri, a collapsible bottle for tube feeding nutrition.
- Amcor: Paperly, paper-based thermoformable packaging for meat and cheese.
Gold Award Winners
- Meiji: The Chocolate 6 Collections assorted package, which contains individual.chocolate bars wrapped with a three-way heat seal that makes packaging easy to open and allows customers to eat chocolate without the mess on their hands.
- Amcor: 46-oz Coffeemate natural bliss Cold Brew with Geo-Strap base.
- Alico: ReciPack, a recyclable, large-volume flexible pouch made of 100% polyethylene.
- C.I. TAKIRON: SANZIP sensory zipper.
- Amcor: Molson Coors 12-pack cooler bag.
- DuPont Teijin Films: LuxCR depolymerization process that helps to overcome challenges of mechanical recycling and food contact compliance for recycled plastics.
- Huhtamaki PPL: Bag-in-Bag for extreme drop resistance.
Silver Award Winners
- Amcor: Full Moon Perdue Natural Look pet treat pouch.
- Hangzhou Holmes Food: Baicaowei Fresh Lock packaging, which is a new way of keeping nuts fresh, even when packaged with dry fruit.
- Hangzhou Qunle Packaging: The Fortune Stick pet snack packaging.
- Blue Apron: Sustainable gel packs that consumers can safely drain in their household sink.
- ITC Limited: Breathable Wheat Flour Pack with air release control, which strengthens the packaging and prevents the ingress of pests into the product.
- Schur Star Systems: Schur Star Zip-Pop packing is a dual-chamber stand-up pouch containing a flavor-release chamber that automatically delivers spices and herbs to the food.
2019 award winners